Clinical Operations Lead
DUTIES – RESPONSIBILITIES
The Clinical Operations Lead (COL) leads the planning, execution and conduct of complex clinical programs while adhering to budget, scope and timelines. The COL is responsible for managing all aspects of a clinical trial or multiple clinical trials with emphasis on CRO and vendor management to drive a high functioning and results-driven team. The COL is expected to provide leadership within the department and to make recommendations with regards to the strategic aspects of Clinical Operations deliverables.
The major functions to be performed in this position are as follows:
• Serve as primary Clinical Operations contact for internal and external study team members on assigned studies/projects and as the escalation point for investigators and sites.
• Participate in the selection of CROs, consultants and vendors.
• Oversee CRO and/or vendor activities and coordinate cross-functional department activities to successfully achieve milestones and quality deliverables in study management, including but not limited to site selection, study start-up, recruitment, study conduct, database lock, and study close-out.
• Lead cross-functional development of and adherence to study specific operational plans and processes ensuring clear roles, responsibilities, and communication pathways. Plans and processes may be developed in collaboration with vendors including plans for vendor oversight, project management, communication, recruitment, monitoring, and risk management. These will ensure studies are conducted efficiently, effectively, and in accordance with the protocol, GCP/ICH guidelines, federal regulations, and applicable SOPs.
• Contribute to development of plans and documents led by other functions such as data management and data review plans, statistical analysis plan, safety management plan, etc.
• Track and report on the overall status of assigned clinical trials including enrollment metrics, key performance indicators (e.g., deviations, trial risks, monitoring metrics), milestones, and budgets.
• Organize and participate in meetings, i.e., Study Team, Trainings, Investigator, and Scientific.
• Review and/or directly contribute to study documents such as vendor specifications, study manuals, training materials, site and patient facing materials, CRFs, monitoring reports, special correspondence, communication plans, etc.
• Contribute to protocols, clinical study reports, annual reports, key safety reports, and regulatory documents.
• Perform ongoing assessment of operational efficiency and communication and adjust study processes to ensure high team performance
• Review and write SOPs for Clinical Operations, update and maintain SOPs.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Education: Bachelors’ degree in science or nursing.
• Experience: Minimum of 7 years of clinical research experience, with a minimum of 3 years trial management experience in industry (sponsor or CRO). Vendor management experience is required.
• Preferred: Experience with monitoring oversight or direct monitoring. Experience with oncology and/or radiopharmaceuticals.
• Possess highly effective interpersonal and analytical skills enabling influencing and negotiation skills
• Strong problem solving and decision making skills
• Strong understanding of clinical trial methodology, drug development process, ICH-GCP guidelines and applicable regulatory requirements is required.
• Experience in clinical program management, and clinical operations management of clinical trials
• Well organized and detail oriented with strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Proficient in MS Office applications